Thursday, January 14, 2010

Back to School

Hello! I have neglected my blog for several days with the start of the spring semester. I have been extremely busy and in my free time I have pretty much been lazy. However, I decided to blog before I missed my weekly deadline for my 101 in 1001 list. So here's a little update on what has been going on in the life of the Street family.

Colton and I have both been working on lining up our future in Lubbock. I have applied with school districts in the area and Colton has been talking to some dentists in the area. We are really excited about moving to Lubbock and hopefully we can start househunting soon.

Its finals week this week and many of my students are busy taking exams. It has been a nice week for me because it gives me time to catch up on my work, grading, and get prepared for next semester. It has been a slow week at work though and I am ready for the weekend.

I have been back in the kitchen this week and I am loving expanding my skills. I made champagne chicken and beef stroganoff, both of which turned out fantastic! I also tried my third CCC recipe and I think I may have found the best one yet. Each one has different positives but this one was thick and chewy. There is one more recipe I want to try, Alton Brown's The Chewy. I will keep you posted on my quest to find the perfect CCC.

Colton and I have decided to run the Cowtown 10K in February. Its part of our goal to get healthy and lose those unwanted extra lbs. We started running this week and its been pretty difficult. I have not worked out regularly since the wedding so running again is challenging.

Colton and I went to see The Blind Side last Friday evening. I HIGHLY recommend the movie. It was a really moving story. I don't want to spoil anything but it is one of the best movies I have seen in awhile. We also watched a rental movie, The International, which was really good, too.

I have read two really good books lately. The first, The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan, is a good novel about two women who grew up in China during WWII. Tan has a really way of weaving several stories together into a beautiful piece. I really like her writing.

The second, Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay, is about a Jewish girl and a journalist whose stories become entwined when the journalist begins researching the Vel De Hiv roundup in Paris in 1942. Jews were rounded up and sent to camps where they were later deported to Auschwitz. The story is told from the perspective of the little girl during the actual round up and the journalist as she uncovers more about the story of the little girl.

I am still working out the kinks as to how I want to keep track of my list. I cannot decide if I want to log every thing I am working on or keep a running list somewhere else. I like having it on my blog but I don't want my entries to always sound like a laundry list of things to do. I will have to brainstorm how to do this creatively!

My final comments are on a subject I am passionate about- Texas Tech Football. I am VERY excited we hired a new coach, Tommy Tuberville, after a series of trying weeks over the holiday season. Our former head coach was fired, and although I do not agree with the reasons, I do believe Tech has made a postive step forward out of a negative situation. I am sincerely hopeful that our program will continue to grow and improve because Colton and I are extremely excited to be living there and attend football games. Guns Up!

XOXO,
Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment