Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Re-Cap

Well, I had a very merry Christmas indeed. I hope you did too! We began our holidays with a trek to West Texas to visit Colton's family. Boy, did we leave just in the nick of time. We headed out Wednesday evening around 4:30 p.m. We took 287 (I am so thankful we did not leave Wednesday morning on 287) and a little over halfway there, around Childress, the sleet and snow started coming down. We had to slow down to about 45-50 mph to drive in the dark, cold, snowy weather but we arrived safely in Kress. (One of my best friends, Susanna, insists on spelling it Crest, like the toothpaste) I awoke to the sound of wind whipping against the windowsills and Colton pulled the blinds back to reveal a big snowy blur. The winds were blowing all the snow that had fallen during the night. It was so bad they closed a lot of the highways around West Texas, including I20 because the conditions were too difficult to drive in. You could not even see 5 feet in front of you, much less drive. While Colton spent the morning braving the cold with his dad and brother to check on the cows (apparently they can walk off during snow storms), I spent time with CassiDe and SuDe. We even made homemade noodles for lunch. By five o clock the conditions had calmed down enough for us to pile in the four wheel drive pickup and crawl toward Grandmommys house in Plainview. Along the way, we saw cars dotting the medians and banks off the highway where people had slid off the roads and gotten stuck.

Grandmommy hosted Christmas eve dinner with prime rib. Yum! Samson, her small dog, provided the entertainment. It was a delicious dinner and good time. We left for home to dream of sugar plums and all those Christmas things. I tried to convince Colton to give me my present a day early to no success. He is really good at making me wait.

Christmas morning. I awoke to Colton placing my present on the bed. A new watch, just what I wanted and better than I asked for. He is a good husband. His turn...a watch! Haha. We both gave each other watches w/o knowing it. His watch is a Garmin 305 forerunner that he can use for running. It tracks his heart rate, distance, calories, and lots of other things. This will come in use when we run the Cowtown 10K!

We exchanged presents with his family and then headed out (again in the four wheel drive) to Nannys house where Colton's dad's family was waiting. (All five kids with their families and grandparents...around 22 people total..not including dogs) We had a HUGE Christmas lunch that included homemade mac n cheese just for me (in case I did not like anything else...they know how picky I am!) Afterwards, we exchanged gifts in a white elephant exchange. I received a two sets of sparkly dangle earrings. Good deal for me! All in all, my first Christmas with the Streets was a wonderful one and they made it very special for me as my first Christmas away from home.

On Saturday, we drove home and had Christmas with my family. Mom cooked a yummy ham with scalloped potatoes and butterscotch pie. We exchanged gifts and sat by the fire all night. It was a wonderful night. Dad really like his custom picture so I was glad about that.

Up next...a new year! Hope everyone has NY resolutions ready! I know I do! I plan to enjoy my last week off work to the fullest and spend as much time with my husband as possible.

XOXO,
Devin

P.S. Merry Christmas to Adam and Shelley in Japan! Its their first Christmas together away from home. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment