Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday Update

Well, I have not done very well about keeping this blog updated but that is about to change. Once I reveal my New Year's Day post, you will see why.

I have been busy lately obsessing over cooking and trying to make it through the last few weeks of school before the holiday break. Words cannot describe how elated I am that my break has finally arrived. I have spent the morning being lazy on the couch and I am finally about to pull myself up and begin my day. On the agenda- wrapping Christmas gifts, heading to my parents house, making homemade noodles, baking Christmas cookies for my mom, and possibly trying a recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls. A busy day ahead indeed.

Since my last post, I have discovered in myself a desire to learn how to cook. Now, I know how to cook like my mother does...good, greasy, homestyle cooking that requires the consumption of lots of butter and gravy. I do love a good chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and cream gravy. But, I have decided I need to expand my cooking skills beyond that of Southern cooking so I have taken to researching recipes on the Internet and browsing Southern Living magazines (courtesy of my wonderful grandmother) for new ideas. I have already collected at least twelve recipes to try. After spending so much time time reading other people's blogs about cooking, I feel exhausted with their efforts yet I also envy those skills. So..I set out to try my hand at this new venture in the kitchen and I will say I have met mostly success with only one minor (okay major) setback in the kitchen. Luckily, I have a great husband who still ate my dinner even though it was gross!

First up on my attempt was an easy weeknight casserole, which consisted basically of ground beef, sour cream and cream cheese, onion powder, cheddar cheese, and egg noodles. Simple and easy...this recipe was a hit. I promptly filed it away into my new recipe box (courtesy of my mother) to be made again.

Attempt #2- Chicken Enchilda Soup = DISASTER
My love of Chilis is infinite. I could eat there everyday and most people who know me know that I could eat the same two or three things off the menu every time. I am not an adventurous eater. So, in my pursuit of that cheesy goodness Chilis calls enchilda soup, I attempted to re-create this recipe with the help of a recipe from the Internet. Let's just say it was not delicious. It called for a different kind of flour, Masa Harina, and it did not taste well. I am not sure what I did wrong but I will not be making this one again. Recipe in the trash.

Attempt #3- Baked Ravioli = Success!
Very simple and easy. It involved layering ingredients into a baking casserole dish and popping in the oven. I am working my way in to the harder stuff, people, but I will still be happy with the simple joys of easy dishes. Yum!

Attempt #4- Peppermint Bark and Oreo Truffles
Now, I have made peppermint bark before. It is always delicious. The Oreo Truffles (Fancy way of saying oreo balls) were new to my kitchen. I found several delicious recipes online but I went with the one on the Kraft foods website. Oh my gosh...heaven in one bite. These are delicious. I took them to Colton's work party with the peppermint bark and they were well liked by all.

Attempt #5- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
I have always made the recipe for chocolate chip cookies on the back of the Tollhouse bag, like my mother has always done. Sorry, mom, but those cookies do not even compare to my new recipe. They are a mixture of chewy, chocolate goodness. My students think so too! They benefitted from all my baking frenzied activity in the kitchen Thursday night. I have one other CCC recipe to try and I will update you later on which is the best.

Attempt #6- Chocolate Mint Puddles
Another cookie recipe. I found this on a blog and I mixed up the dough Thursday night. I did not have time to bake them until Saturday but, boy, were they worth it. The recipe involved using Andes mints so you know they have to be delicious.

Out of 6 attempts in the kitchen, with only one failed, I consider my first week in the kitchen a success. Don't you worry. I will continue to cook all my country cooking favorites, including macaroni and cheese, but I hope to expand my cooking skills to include other types of foods. So far, I am enjoying it immensely. Just ask my husband, who constantly finds me in the kitchen or on the computer looking for new recipes.

Well, the presents won't wrap themselves so I guess I better get started. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your time with your loved ones. I know I will!

XOXO,
Devin

3 comments:

  1. I love reading about your love of cooking! I love to BAKE...but I am trying to love to cook. I think you need to share the "must make again" recipes so we can try them! I'm always looking for new/good/easy recipes!!! Hope ya'll have a very Merry Christmas!!!! Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin, I started reading your blog after you posted the link on Facebook! It's so nice to read about what you are up to! Congratulations on your marriage! I wanted to share a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup that I make regularly (and made tonight for my parents). It's creamy and delicious! I found it on allrecipes.com. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Tortilla-Soup-III/Detail.aspx) I hope things are going well! Tell your parents I said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Monica and Moriah! Its so nice to know someone reads these ramblings of mine. I will put up recipes soon once I figure out how to link to their creators page.

    Moriah, Thanks for the recipe. I will try it soon!

    Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete